Advice from the car rental company ParosEuropean Rent in Paros!
The speed limit in Greece is 50 km/h (31 mph) in the city and residential areas, 80 – 90 km/h (50-56 mph) on expressways and 100 – 130 km/h (62-75 mph) on highways. You should always stick to the speeds posted on the signs along the road you are driving on. Driving speeds can change suddenly, so always be alert. The speed limit is controlled in many areas by a satellite and video cameras.
These are some general guidelines, as in each area you should be aware of the speed limits. The Traffic police monitors the speed limit using either laser technology or speed cameras.
The fines for violating speed limits in Greece are as follows:
- Up to 20 km/h from the speed limit the fine is €40
- For 20 to 30 km/h over the speed limit the fine is €100
- For over 30 km/h over the speed limit the fine is 350€ and revocation of the driver’s license for 60 days
- For over 150 km/h on the highways the fine is also €350 and revocation of the driving license for 60 days
- For over 130 km/h on high speed roads the fine is also €350 and revocation of the driving license for 60 days
- For over 120 km/h in others the fine is also €350 and revocation of the driver’s license for 60 days
- And for those wondering if it’s a good idea to use a speed camera detector, the fines are 2,000 euros, the driver’s license is revoked for 30 days and the vehicle’s license plate is confiscated by the Greek Traffic Police for 60 days.
For your own service and safe driving, ParosEuropean Rent Car Rentals in Paros suggests using a GPS Navigation System together with your car rental to avoid any problem, as the GPS informs you of the local speed limits warning of their violation along with other useful information about the area you are driving.